Dry skin can be uncomfortable and unattractive. It often shows up as rough, red, and itchy patches in places of the body that show arms, hands, lower legs, ankles. But it’s also common on the soles of the feet, thighs, and the abdomen.
Since most dry skin is due to external causes, it responds well to external skin care treatment. Just making a few adjustments to your daily skin care routine can help. No matter what the cause, there are many things you can do to make dry skin smooth and supple.
How to Take Care of Dry Skin:
Beauty Mask for Dry Skin (mix the ingredients thoroughly and use as a mask):
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of honey,
- 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil
- few drops of rose water
After you clean and tone your skin, apply a splash of water or a water-misting. Pat almost dry with a soft towel, then smooth moisturizer from bosom to hairline. Allow five minutes for immediate absorption (cover your face and throat with warm washcloths to hasten penetration), then blot off any excess moisturizer with a tissue.
Men can skip the toner but should moisturize the delicate skin around the eye area.
Apply a touch of your natural moisturizer over the freshly cleansed, toned, and dampened skin on your throat, cheeks, and around your eyes. Men should follow a two-step process. Apply moisturizer immediately after shaving. Wait ten minutes. Then moisturize again.
Once a week, take a milk bath. It will nourish and smoothen your skin. Warm your bath water and put in 250 gram of powdered milk, half tablespoon of almond oil and a few drops of your favorite perfume. Then just lie in it and let your mind wander while the wholesome foam works wonders on your dry skin.
5 Lifestyle Tips for Relieving Dry Skin:
These strategies can also help make your skin supple and smooth:
- Plug in a humidifier at home to help keep skin hydrated when indoor air is dry during winter months.
- Wear cotton and other natural fibers. Wool, synthetics, or other fabrics can be scratchy and irritating.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Eat omega-3 foods. Essential fatty acids can help fortify the skin’s natural oil-retaining barriers. Foods rich in omega-3 include cold-water fish (salmon, halibut, sardines), flax, walnuts, and safflower oil.
- For itching or inflammation, apply a cool compress or a hydro cortisone cream on the area for a week. If these don’t provide relief, talk to your doctor.
How do you prevent dry skin?
- Dry skin is still something that is bothersome and can even be painful during the autumn and fall seasons. If you are prone to dry skin, you may not be able to get away from it, but you can combat it and make things easier for you.
- When the weather is bad, make sure that you wear protective clothing to keep the snap of the cold wind out. If you don’t do this, exposed skin is the first place that you will find dry skin located. That includes your face and your hands, to common areas for dry skin to appear.
- Avoid taking showers. If you have dry skin continuously, this is a great way to stop it. Showers, especially those that are of hot water, are detrimental to skin care. You are sure to find yourself relaxing better in a bath anyway. Showers actually strip the natural oils from your skin that can prevent dry skin.
- Use milder soaps on your skin. Look for bar soap and hand soap that is mild. There are several brands that are available to you that don’t contain such harsh chemicals and abrasives that can rip away the natural oils in your skin.
- Use lotions and moisturizers. If you know that your skin is going to be dry, use moisturizers to fight it before it happens. You can also tackle your problems more effectively if you treat dry skin sooner rather than later when it is painful.
- Use bath oils. Another way to get a treatment for your dry skin is to add bath oils to your bath water. These add in the oils that may be depleted because of the weather or other condition that is causing your dry skin.
- Use these methods to fight off your dry skin. You don’t have to worry about how bad it will be this year when you have a few tricks to fighting and preventing dry skin available to you now.
- Never use hot water when cleansing dry skin.
- Don’t use a washcloth because a rough texture can irritate.